Thursday, March 1, 2012

What's a Tornado?

If you have a funnel cloud, a spinning vortex of air in the sky, and it touches the clouds at one end and the ground at the other end, you've got yourself a tornado.

The surprising thing about tornadoes is that it's mostly about the way hot and cold air react to each other. Wind in general is caused by hot and cold air. You might have seen a spinning movement at the top of your cup of coffee or tea as it reacts to the cooler air above it. This is heat and cold pushing each other around -- the basis for all changes in weather.

Thunderstorms create low enough pressure that there's essentially a vacuum beneath the clouds. Get these two phenomena going on at the same time, and you can get a column of swirling air. Let that spinning cloud touch the ground and you can get circling winds at 300 miles an hour. That's a lot of power.

While tornadoes are strong enough to pick things up -- the clock tower at William Jewell College in Liberty, Missouri got carried off to a neighboring town a few years back -- the main danger is in having things fall on you. A good strong roof can protect you. Get inside, get low, and make sure you're out of the way of windows.

The force of a tornado is such that it can rip a roof from a house, or even pick up part of a house and drop it somewhere else. A strong roof can't always protect you from every tornado. However, most injuries in tornadoes are from falling debris. Keep that in mind next time you hear a tornado warning. Take shelter in a cellar if you have one, and otherwise choose a central part of the building you're in and keep as protected as possible.

It's all part of living here in Tornado Alley.

11 comments:

  1. OMG tornado is highly responsible of deserters in USA
    EPDM Rubber Roofing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same Day Courier
    Tornado make USA more in trouble always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These articles and blogs are certainly sufficient for me personally for a day.Trust Roofing Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is comforting to learn that a strong roof can protect you from a tornado. I will have to make sure to upgrade to a metal roof. That way if falling things come I will be safe, and if strong winds try to rip off my roof it will hold firm.

    http://www.cooperroofing.ca/services.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello guys! You have made superb efforts to make this post. This is great thanks mclean roofing

    ReplyDelete
  7. We provide you all roofing services in Oakville, Burlington, Hamilton and Mississauga. Hamilton Roofing is specialized in Residential and Commercial roofing. All Stars Roofing trusted Company in Canada.
    http://allstarsroofing.com/tag/roof-repair-mississauga/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I conclude I have selected the smart and inconceivable website along with interesting stuff. roofing company

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Benjamin That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.com}

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Benjamin, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by the foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Benjamin. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to Le_Meridian Funding Service and for the help of Mr, Benjamin for giving me a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: { lfdsloans@outlook.com / lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com} Or WhatsApp +1-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete